Tuesday, October 27, 2015

"No Labels...just Life" blog: Oh Yeah, I'm a Photographer...

Disclaimer: I'm having font issues. I think it has to do with starting these posts on Facebook on my iPhone and then editing them on my Blogger app and then editing them on the Blogger website (all using my phone). Okay, now that I've explained why there are so many different fonts intertwined (if you even see them, like I do), here's my post:

It's funny; I'll start to post on Facebook and then my status update turns into a paragraph. I'll never forget that friend who commented on a post of mine who said, if a post takes me twenty minutes to write, it belongs on a blog and not Facebook. It's not that I had to heed her criticism, but, little did she know, every status update has always taken me twenty minutes, lol. So, maybe that's not "normal" Facebook activity, and maybe she was right.

So, now that I'm transitioning from Facebook blog posts to actual blog posts, here's the Facebook status update I was writing just now, copied and pasted and edited to be even longer than the paragraph it originally was (and one of these days I'm going to have to thank her publicly for getting all this started, but, for now I'll keep her anonymous since there's clearly still some passive aggressive resentment, lol):

Days off are sometimes weird for me, if I have more days off than I've asked for, but, I'm an intelligent woman, and I understand that when business is slow, in order to stay in business (i.e. make money), the restaurant has to cut costs. Restaurants aren't places where cooks are supposed to be able to make a full-time living unless you're the manager, an assistant manager, the owner, the chef, or the sous chef. That's why, even though it freaked me out when my hours when cut at first, at this point, I don't take it personally. I love my job making pizza, and my bosses know that, so I'm no longer worried about my hours or my wage. I figure everything'll work itself out as long as I keep doing a good job. But on my days off, when it's not the day I have off to be with my son, I do get to thinking, "Hmm, so, I'm not making money right now...if I don't like that...and if I want to change that...how am I going to change that?" 

I've decided today is photography day. Yep! Many of you know I'm a photographer but stopped when I got steady work elsewhere, even though I had only just gotten started after taking photography at Cal State. It's time to pick my camera back up and start shooting again. Well...before that, it's time to pick up my Wordpress website-building skills and build myself a new website so I can market myself so I can start shooting again. :P

I'm brilliant, and I have so many talents - marketing, publicity, websites, photography, music, writing, editing - I could easily be making money with all of those when I'm not on the clock at my "real" job. All I have to do is actually do it. Maybe my letter to Work Ethic is being answered. Or, more accurately, my prayers...don't let me leave God out any more! 

I'll even say it again:

My Creator, I am now willing that you should have all of me, both good and bad. I pray that you remove from me every single defect of character which stands in the way of my usefulness to You and my fellows. Grant me strength as I go out from here to do your bidding. Amen.

So...let's be useful!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note to My Beloved Readers:

You're very important to me; more than you will ever know. Through writing about my life, I'm trying to become a better mother. That is, in fact, my penultimate goal. If I succeed, I hope to inspire fellow sufferers of abuse and mental illness like me to survive and thrive (and if I don't succeed, I'm still useful as an example of what NOT to do). So, please, join me! Subscribe by email. Read about my fall from grace, my digging myself out of the trenches of demoralization, and my uphill trudge, battling the demons on the road to restoration, redemption, and happy destiny. We are not alone, you and I. And if you believe it - God's will is where your feet are. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to email me at adorafallbrook@gmail.com. Thank you, and so much love - Adora Fallbrook (nom de plume).